Here’s a quick how-to for making those cool grainy textured web backgrounds using Photoshop starting with a square 100px x 100px, for example:
1. Fill with the color of your choice
2. Filter > Noise > Add noise 7%
3. Image > Adjustments > Desaturate (You’ll be adding your color back in later. This step is necessary to get an even grain pattern without extraneous bits of color.)
4. Create a new layer filling with the same color of your original choice
5. Set the opacity to 60%
6. Try changing the layer styles for different effects using multiply, soft light, etc.
You can see another example of a grainy textured background on this blog!
Where do designers get those rough looking backgrounds?…
Check out my tutorial here: http://rosecreativestudio.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/how-to-make-grainy-web-backgrounds/…
You have one additional step in this process that is not really needed. When adding the noise, you can select monochrome option that eliminates the color noise in the noise filter thus negating the need to desaturate the noise later.
I love skipping steps. Thanks for the update and the post!
thanks kathy, it work well. like apple.com background.
Glad it worked for you! Thanks for commenting!!
Awesome TIp =)